The holiday season is a cheerful, magical time of year. A time when many families do a lot of baking in the kitchen and nothing can spoil your holiday baking faster than finding your ingredients infested with pantry pests.
Pantry pests, also called stored product pests, are insects that infest food commonly stored in pantries and cupboards. Products such as spices, cereal, flour, candy, and chocolate. Insects that are described as pantry pests include:
- Saw-toothed grain beetles
- Indian meal moths
- Confused beetles
- Rice weevils
We at Pioneer Pest Management, want you to have a safe and pest-free holiday season, so here are some tips we’ve created to help keep pantry pests out of your home.
Avoiding Pantry Pests
- Inspect groceries at the store: although pantry pests can get into your home through cracks, they commonly find their way into homes through products they’ve already infested, either at the manufacturing site or grocery store. This is why it’s important to inspect products before placing them in your grocery cart. Only purchase items that have fully-sealed packaging. Nothing that has been damaged. This also includes pet food.
- Store food in airtight containers: it’s common for insects (and rodents) to chew their way into cardboard boxes and plastic bags. The best way to help keep these pests out is to store your food in durable, plastic containers with airtight lids.
- Keep clean: immediately clean up spills and crumbs and throw out the trash regularly.
- Eliminate moisture: repair leaky pipes and clear clogged drains, nearly all pests are attracted to moisture.
- Check expiration dates: some ingredients like flour, brown sugar, and baking soda may not get used as often as other ingredients. Throw out expired products and products that have been open and uncovered for quite some time.
- Seal potential entry points: repair damaged screens and install door sweeps on exterior doors.
Are you dealing with pantry pests?
When you’re doing holiday baking, it should be fun and stress-free. Finding insects in your baking ingredients can really spoil your holiday spirit. If you have pantry pests in your home, give us a call. We’ve been providing safe and effective pest control for over 19 years.