Noises in the Attic – What’s Causing Those Scratching Sounds?
Any homeowner dreads hearing noises coming from their attic. If you are hearing scratching or scampering sounds overhead, you might have some guests taking up residence right above you. Attic spaces are ideal environments for rodents, who can cause a lot of damage through their gnawing and burrowing habits. It’s important to call a professional who can assess the situation for you before the infestation becomes worse and help with pest proofing your home. At Pioneer Pest Management, we can professionally and safely eliminate any pests living in and damaging your attic. Read on to learn more how to look for the signs of pests in the attic.
How do Rodents Get in the Attic?
While there are a number of pests that may access your attic, scratching sounds almost always indicate rodents such as roof rats. Although rats prefer to live in trees, they can easily move from the trees in your yard to your roof and eventually into your home for food and shelter reasons. Because they are resourceful creatures that can squeeze through the tiniest of spaces or even gnaw their way through, rats and mice can easily enter an attic. Once inside, they can quickly wreak havoc by chewing through wires that cause a fire hazard, leaving behind unhealthy droppings, and nesting in materials in the attic.
Signs of Attic Pest Infestations
Because you may not have easy access to your attic, it’s important to stay vigilant in checking for signs of pests or rodents in your home.
- Scratching noises: This is the biggest indicator of rodents in your attic. Running, gnawing, and crawling noises can also be heard in the attic or even in the walls of your home.
- Nighttime activity: If the noises you are hearing come at night, it is again very likely you have rodents inside the home.
- Strange smells: If you smell droppings or excrement prior to inspecting the attic, you may need to look for other signs of pests in the attic.
- Nests and droppings: Upon inspecting the attic, noticing nests made of leaves, sticks, and paper indicate rodents. The bigger the droppings in the space, the bigger the pest.
- Insulation issues: Pests, rodents especially, love ripping into the insulation of your home, typically that surrounding your HVAC system. Holes in your ductwork signal pests making their way through the attic into the walls of the home.
Professional Pest Proofing Services
If you hear or notice any of the aforementioned signs of pests in the attic, it’s time to call Pioneer Pest Management. Rodents are destructive and can be dangerous, and an infestation should always be taken care of by a professional. Our removal experts will eradicate rodents quickly to keep your family and home safe. From there, we will help apply prevention methods to keep them out of your attic for good. Call us today to learn more about our pest-proofing methods!