The temperatures are warming up and the days are getting longer. Unfortunately, this means the return of mosquitoes is right around the corner. These pests are more than just a nuisance, they can spread potentially harmful diseases to both humans and pets.
With outdoor activities increasing the risk of being bitten by one of these pests also increases. This is why we at Pioneer Pest Management are offering tips to help you protect yourself and your family against these vector pests.
Why Mosquitoes Can Be Dangerous
Mosquitoes are considered dangerous because they’re vector pests. These flying parasites are known for spreading serious and sometimes fatal human diseases such as malaria, yellow fever, dengue fever, Zika, and West Nile virus.
How to Prevent Mosquitoes
Make sure you and your family are protected from these pesky and potentially dangerous pests by following these helpful mosquito prevention tips.
- Eliminate areas of standing water, such as birdbaths, tarps, flower pots, kiddie pools, and discarded tires. Mosquitoes only need about a half-inch of water to breed, which is about the size of a bottle cap.
- Set up an irrigation system that properly distributes the right amount of water.
- Ensure all of the windows and doors around your home have screens. If they’re damaged, you’ll want to repair even the smallest tear.
- Remove excess vegetation and regularly mow your lawn.
- Mosquitoes are most active at dusk and dawn so try to avoid being outdoors during these times.
- If you’re spending time outside, apply an insect repellent with at least 20% DEET or picaridin.
Experts in Mosquito Control
Mosquito season is fast approaching. If you’re concerned about mosquito activity on your property, contact a licensed pest control company, like Pioneer Pest Management in Portland OR and Vancouver WA. We offer various mosquito control services to keep your property comfortable and pest-free.